Our complete 2008 draft team has been posted under the 2008 Draft tab at the top of the page. Here’s an early update on those who have signed and what they have done in pro ball.
- Seth Garrison has been assigned to the Lowell (Mass.) Spinners, the Red Sox’s short-season affiliate of the New York-Penn League. In two relief appearances, Garrison has gone 1-0, striking out four and not allowing a walk. He has held opponents scoreless in his three innings.
- Bobby Lafromboise has been assigned to the Everett (Wa.) AquaSox, Seattle’s short-season affiliate of the Northwest League. He has only made one start to date — June 20 at Spokane. He only lasted three innings and allowed four runs, all earned. He gave up seven hits, while striking out one and walking none. He was tagged with the loss.
- Chris Swauger was assigned to the Batavia (NY) Muckdogs, the Cardinals’ short-season affiliate of the New York-Penn League. Through five games, he is hitting .263/.364/.316. He has been inconsistent in his brief professional career, going hitless in two games and collecting two hits apiece in two other games. Of his five hits, only one was for extra bases. He is playing left-field or DH, hitting mostly in the No. 2 hole.
- Mitch Herold is Garrison’s teammate at Lowell. He has not pitched yet.
- Blake Murphy is Swauger’s teammate at Batavia. Through five games, he is hitting .211/.318/.421. Three of his four hits came on June 21 vs. Mahoning Valley, when he went 3-4, 1 R, 1 2B, 1 3B, 1 RBI and 1 BB. Murphy has caught four games and DHed one so far.
- Justin Bass plays for Florida’s short-season affiliate in the New York-Penn league, the Jamestown (NY) Jammers. He has started his pro career off on the wrong foot, going 0-11 with five strikeouts. He is playing right field for Jamestown.
- The Braves assigned Chris Shehan to their Rookie affiliate, the Danville (Va.) Braves of the Appalachian League. The Appy League is considered one step down from the New York-Penn League. Through five games, he has hit .389/.476/.611 with one home run. He has already recorded two three-hit games. Shehan has been playing right field.
- Travis “T.R.” Keating has been assigned to the Orioles’ Rookie affiliate, the Bluefield (WV) Orioles of the Appalachian League. He has appeared in one game, pitching 2 2/3 innings of relief on June 19 at Elizabethton. In that appearance, he allowed four runs (all earned) on four hits. He struck out two and walked two.
- Keith Stein has been assigned to the Oneonta (NY) Tigers, Detroit’s short-season affiliate of the New York-Penn League. He has hit .360/.429/.560 with one home run through six games. He has recorded a hit in five of his six games. He has played right field in all but one game.
- Kevin Reese went undrafted, but signed with the Washington (Pa.) Wild Things of the independent Frontier League. He has pitched nine innings in seven relief appearances. Reese has allowed eight runs (all earned), striking out five and walking three. He has yet to record a decision.
- Nick Pugliese was not drafted in early June, but recently signed with the Los Angeles Angels. He has been assigned to their Rookie league affiliate in the Arizona League. It is the lowest rung of the affiliated minor leagues, but it’s a start for the Stetson grad.
- Barry Bowden also signed as a non-drafted free agent with the Kansas City Royals. He has not pitched yet for the Burlington (NC) Royals of the Appalachian League.
Six of the 30 first round picks have signed to date. The six: Tim Beckham (1, 1) with the Tampa Bay Rays, Aaron Hicks (1, 14) with the Minnesota Twins, David Cooper (1, 17) with the Toronto Blue Jays, Reese Havens (1, 22) with the New York Mets, Christian Friedrich (1, 25) with the Colorado Rockies and Lonnie Chisenhall (1, 29) with the Cleveland Indians.